Here are some ideas when reading with your child:
1. Introduce the book.
2. Look at the front cover illustration and ask your child to predict what the book is about.
3. Ask questions eg “What can we see on the front cover?”
4. Look through the book at the illustrations.
5. Read the blurb – the description on the back of most books.
6. Ask questions about the text as you read.
7. Explain unfamiliar vocabulary and new words.
8. Ask your child to find words in the text and discuss them.
Other questions and prompts you might use are:
- Show me where you start reading.
- Show me how you point to the words as you read.
- Point to a capital letter.
- Point to a full stop.
- Can you find a word that starts with___?
- Can you see any speech bubbles / exclamation marks?
- Can you find a long word on the page and count the syllables?