Lots of info about year 5!

Thursday 15 September 2011

Wow – this class is great!

It’s been a really positive start to the year with my new Year 5 class. Everyone’s trying hard with their learning and sometimes you can almost feel the concentration in the room! Children are slowly getting used to the way I do things in my class, and they’re doing brilliantly. I love all the big characters we have!

Here’s just a few reminders and some information about the way things work in Year 5.

Reading

I read with every child in a small group once a week. Other staff in the class may read with them too, but it’s really important that children read at home as well. It doesn’t have to be story books – factual books, newspapers (children’s ones are available if you look), comics, magazines or websites are all good, too. Maybe mix it up every so often. So far, I’ve been really impressed with how this class reads aloud. Miss Hewson has obviously set high standards! This year, we’re going to be concentrating not just on reading the words in books (that’s obviously very important), but understanding the meaning behind them. You can help your child by asking questions like:

Homework

Homework is due nearly every week, just like the rest of the school. It’s given out on Fridays and is due on Wednesdays. This gives children three evenings and two whole weekend days to do the homework, which should be plenty of time. At Moortown, we expect each homework to take around 30 mins – 1 hour. This could be done in three 15 minute sessions or one long fun session. One of the Year 5 team will mark the homework and just as importantly, we will have a “Homework Walk” in which children have the opportunity to look at each other’s homework and vote for the one that they think has shown the most effort or improvement.

Spellings

Spellings are given out on Fridays and tested the following Friday. Children should practise them by whatever works for them, but I recommend the tried and tested method: READ IT> COVER IT > WRITE IT > CHECK IT. Five minutes every day will keep it locked in there!

Times Tables

Each week children are asked to practise a new times table. By Year 5, children should already be quick and accurate with all tables up to their 10s. If they’re not, I can’t stress enough how important it is for them to spend a bit more time getting up to speed. Children’s ability with number affects loads of their maths and times tables is a vital part of that. 5 – 10 minutes every day is perfect. Why not do it on the way to and from school? Don’t forget division facts, too.

PE and swimming

They’re both on Wednesday at the moment, but children should bring their PE kits on Monday, so they are able to take part if things have to change (which they often do in primary schools!). Swimming kits on Wednesday please, including swimming costume, towels and goggles or swimming caps if wanted.

Phew! You made it to the end! Please come and speak to me if there’s anything you want to let me know about, if you have any questions or if you want to let me know how your child is doing – good or bad.