Recently, our Year 5 and 6 school councillors attended the third annual youth voice summit for primary schools in the banqueting suite at Leeds Civic Hall. During the event, the children:
- Learnt how to run effective social action campaigns in their schools and communities
- Learnt about influential historical and current campaigns such as the suffragettes and American civil rights
- Learnt about how to write to the government and local council
- Had the opportunity to come up with their own campaigns and create placards
- Had a full tour of the Leeds Council Chamber
Their chosen campaign, to work on back at school with the rest of the school council, is all about clearing up litter. We look forward to seeing how this campaign will develop.