This week in Living and Learning, Year 4 have been recapping and learning more about sleep. Sleep is really important for us for so many reasons. For example:
- It helps our minds to feel ready and positive for a new day.
- It helps our body to grow and repair.
- It helps our body to feel energised.
Without enough sleep, we won’t be as able to concentrate and learn as well as we might if we did have enough sleep.
Children need 10-11 hours sleep a night on average. This sounded like a long time to Year 4 but we agreed that our bodies need it as we are growing constantly!
We also discussed the important of a sleep/night time routine. This includes all of the small things that we might do that help us to get a better sleep. Here’s what we came up with together:
- Brush your teeth,
- get into your pyjamas,
- have a glass of milk,
- read a story or book,
- have a calm conversation with someone at home,
- close the curtains/blinds
- get cosy in bed,
- listen to calm music or an audio book,
- focus on one thought rather than lots of thoughts,
- hug family and pets goodnight
- go to the toilet so you won’t need to get up in the night!
All these things, that we probably do without even thinking, are important in getting our bodies and minds ready for sleep.
Help at home: Write down your night time routine. Is there anything you could change to help you sleep better? Is there anything you could do more of to help?