02 December 2011
The homework this week is creative and is due in on Wednesday 07 December.
I can show what I have learnt about fractions.
We’ve been learning about fractions in maths this week. We’ve mainly focussed on finding fractions of shapes. The children’s task is to show off what they have learnt. They could:
- Create and solve some fraction problems.
- Show what they know in a series of pictures or drawings.
- Write some fraction word problems.
- Make a poster giving information about fractions.
- Compose a fraction song or poem.
25 November 2011
The homework this week is talk time and is due in on Wednesday 30 November.
I know how to stay calm.
There are lots of things that we can do to help ourselves to stay calm in different situations. Discuss what strategies you could use to stay calm and when you might need to use these strategies.
18 November 2011
The homework this week is creative and is due in on Wednesday 23 November. This week has been national anti-bullying week and the class assembly also had an anti-bullying theme; consequently, the homework is about bullying, too:
I can give advice to a victim of bullying.
It is totally up to you how you give this advice. Some ideas are:
- a poster giving tips and advice
- a playscript between a victim of bullying and a person giving advice
- a storyboard or comic strip
- a picture story
- a poem
11 November 2011
The homework this week is talk time and is due in on Wednesday 16 November.
What makes a house a home?
- Is it the things you have in the house?
- Is it the people who live there?
- Is it the location of the house?
- Is it the house itself?
04 November 2011
The homework this week is practice makes perfect and is due in on Wednesday 09 November.
I can multiply.
The children have a sheet stuck into their homework books which they must complete and hand in.
It’s the holiday…
…so there are no homework or spellings.
However, there are lots of ways you can support you child’s learning, first and foremost by visiting our Help Your Child section.
There are lots of things to do in or near Leeds, from geo-caching on Monday to a spooky Halloween walk on Sunday. Here are a few other ideas to fill the October half-term holiday with activities…
- take your child for an autumnal walk in Roundhay Park to collect chestnuts for a game of conkers or autumn leaves for an autumn collage;
- on a cold, autumn day, stay indoors and spend time baking (What unit of measurement will we use to weigh? If we want to make twice as much, how much will we need? When will the food be ready?);
- take a trip to Leeds Art Gallery – the Damien Hirst exhibition should prove a great opportunity for lots of discussion, description and possibly disagreement!
- and, as always, enjoy some relaxing reading (why not read some Tintin stories from a local library in preparation for the forthcoming film?)
School re-opens on Tuesday 01 November 2011 (following a training day on Monday 31 October 2011).
14 October 2011
The homwork this week is creative and is due in on Wednesday 19 October.
I can find 2D shapes all around me.
Ideas could be:
- trace a picture and colour in the shapes you recognise
- take some photos of buildings or objects and identify the shapes
- draw a picture using only shapes you know and label them
- identify some right angles in shapes you find
I look forward to seeing your creations on Wednesday!
07 October 2011
The homework this week is creative and is due in Wednesday 12 October.
I can design my ideal house.
It is completely up to your child what house they want to design. Here are some ideas:
- an underwater house that requires special oxygenated zones
- a house on a mountain that needs specialist infrastructure to keep it stable
- a mobile house
- a house from the future
30 September 2011
The homework this week is creative and is due in on Wednesday 05 October.
I can design a road safety banner.
Children should create their banners on the sheet attached to their homework books. The banners are then being sent off for a competition. If one of our banners is chosen as the winner, we’ll win some prizes for the school!
Suggested slogans for the banners are:
- Please Drive Safely
- 20 is Plenty
- Kids Say Slow Down
I will look forward to seeing your creations next week. Have fun!
23 September 2011
The homework this week is creative and is due in on Wednesday 28 September.
I know how to stay safe around electricity.
As we have been learning about electricty for the previous two weeks, I thought it would be a good idea for the children to creatively show what they have learnt about staying safe.
Here are some ideas that we came up with as a class when we talked about the homework:
- A poster highlighting the dangers of electricity.
- A series of pictures or photographs showing potential hazards.
- Instructions about how to use electrical items safely.
- A song or poem about electricity.
- A letter advising someone how to use electricity safely.
I will eagerly look forward to seeing your creations on Wednesday.